Electronic music isn’t just for partying. It can help you through tough times, as well. Whether you’re going through a breakup, your dog died, or are just suffering from post-weekend Monday depression, let these tracks break you down and build you back up again :'(
1. Feverkin- “Turn to Salt” : This heart wrenching, post-breakup track really lets you indulge in your mood with melodic piano, guitar, sad vocal samples, and rain sounds.
2. Mura Masa- “i’ll be alright (tonight)” : Not new, but still one of Mura Masa’s best known remixes because of his painfully evocative yet minimal production. Bring on the feels…
3. Japanese Wallpaper- “Arrival” : Still lying in bed, or on the ground in a puddle of your own tears? Fresh from Japanese Wallpaper’s new EP, “Arrival” is a relaxing nostalgia trip, with a hopeful ending. Time to close the floodgates.
4. doujinshi- “ice wing angel” : Get out of bed, you sad sack. This melodic, paced chill-trap lets you go through the motions of a normal day, and hopefully the occasional, out of place “trapaholics” and gun samples make you smile.
5. PETIT BISCUIT- “Alone” : Go on, out the door, time to get on with your life. This melodic, melancholy house track keeps the pace up, giving you a beat to walk to while still wallowing in your sadness.
6. vbnd- “will u stay the night?” : More of a lovesick sad track, vbnd keeps things melodic while adding some more bassy synths and energy in the middle of the track.
7. Fall Out Boy- “Dead (Misogi remix) : That’s right, Fall Out Boy. Let Misogi takes you on a real nostalgia trip back to when you thought 8th grade relationships were complicated. Hopefully you’ll feel a bit better about yourself by the end of it. At least you aren’t in grade school.
8. POLO & Kamandi- “magic” Continuing the transition from sadness to chill tracks. The second drop is excellent.
9. Japanese Wallpaper- “Waves (ft. Pepa Knight)” : Another JW track, this time less somber. The uplifting yet melancholy vocals at 2:24 will make you want to move on so you can enjoy life again.
10. Diplo, Edward Droste, Rostam – “LONG WAY HOME” : The epically low-key collab between Diplo and the frontmen of Vampire Weekend and Grizzly Bear, respectively, is an essential on any sad boy or girl’s playlist. this track expresses those post-breakup reflections and ponderings without getting too depressing about it.
11. ARYAY “R You Ok” : Now is the time to drink some coffee, slap yourself in the face and say, “pull yourself together man!!!” on the crowded subway. By 2 minutes in, you should be ready to enjoy the drop which features excellent synth and vocal mixing.
12. Chet Faker- “1998” : Not new, but essential for the end of a sad boy playlist; deceptively chill and upbeat, listen to the lyrics and you’ll find that this is, in fact a pretty melancholy song. But one that will make you smile too.
13. Mura Masa- “over love” : Another classic, deep track of Mura Masa’s. The classic vibes and triumphent chorus “I got over love” will have you smiling again in no time 😀
(14. Mr. Carmack- “Inconsiderate”) Carmack deleted this off his Soundcloud only a few days after uploading, so I don’t want to get in trouble, but this is one of the saddest, most beautiful tracks I’ve ever heard and deserves a P.S. spot on this list. Hopefully he’ll repost or release it officially someday.